How to fix a tubeless puncture
Learn how to fix a tubeless puncture
Punctures! The mountain biker’s worst enemy….
In recent years, tyre and tubeless technology have come on leaps and bounds, but there are still times when the skills run out and you find that ill-placed rock, root or prickly bush; all hidden and waiting to ruin a perfect day on the trails.
Having the ability to safely and quickly fix your tubeless puncture on your mountain bike is essential and in this edition of #MTBminute, our guide Chris Gibbs shows you the key stages of how to plug that hole and continue your ride without getting into a mess!
10 easy steps for how to fix a tubeless puncture
- If the sealant fails to plug the puncture, get off the bike quickly and remove weight from the tyre
- Inspect the tyre and rim, ensure the tyre is still seated on the rim
- Prepare tyre bung for use
- Rough up the hole with the round file provided
- Apply glue to hole and fit bung to the pronged fork
- Insert the bung into hole – ensuring not to push the bung all the way into the tyre
- Remove pronged fork applicator slowly ensuring the bung stays in tyre, check fix and apply additional glue
- Trim the excess bung to prevent it being pulled out when riding
- Replace the wheel and spin it at speed to ensure remaining sealant fills any holes around bung
- Inflate tyre back to normal pressure and carry on with your ride
Tick, tick, tick, tick…
What can you learn in a minute? Well, quite a lot as it turns out…
From changing a gear cable to fixing a tubless puncture, in the #MTBminute we take on some of the most pressing questions around your mountain bike life and attempt to show you the key stages in just 60 seconds!
Using decades of collective guiding, riding and mechanical experience we’ve carefully created each minute-long video to give easy-to-follow, practical tips that will instantly demystify skills and techniques. They might still take a lifetime to master but with the #MTBminute at least you’ll be off to a solid start.
If our video has inspired you to tackle a tubeless puncture on your bike, why not take a look at our other #MTBminute videos or sign up to our newsletter to receive regular updates from our expert guides who are bringing the Art of Adventure™ to life!