Coronavirus Information for Travellers

While we all find ourselves in the midst of a difficult and rapidly changing situation it is important that we all work together and that we can support you, our customers.

We fully understand that you might be concerned about the effect that the Covid-19 outbreak could have on your travel plans. As such, we are proactively working to contact all clients travelling with H+I Adventures in the next 6 weeks. We are offering and recommend postponement of your tour to a date of your choice up until two years from the start date of your original tour.

H+I Adventures is bonded with ABTOT and therefore as a client, you have 100% financial security.

Latest Advice

So that you can make the correct travel decisions, we are providing factual, balanced and pragmatic information with links to primary, trusted sources.

We are contacting all clients travelling with H+I Adventures in the next 6 weeks. We are offering and recommend postponement of your tour up until two years from the start date of your original tour.

If you have a travel booking for later this year, please be patient. The situation is changing rapidly, as are government travel restrictions in all countries.

This is an exceptionally challenging time for us all and we would like to reassure you that our clients, our team of dedicated experts, and our suppliers’ health and safety are of the highest importance.

We are experiencing a roller coaster of emotions with regard to Coronavirus (COVID-19), and the steps being put in place by world governments, and we know you must be too. When travel restrictions are lifted and you start thinking about your future travel plans, we want you to feel comfortable and supported in your decision, and invite you to contact us with any questions.

H+I Adventures Assurance

  • We are constantly monitoring the situation regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) to ensure that our client care meets your expectations as ever
  • In the dropdown sections below, you’ll find your travel options should your travel with us be imminent i.e. within the next 6 weeks. We would also like to speak about your travel arrangements if your departure is within 8 weeks
  • Once you have booked a trip with H+I Adventures, our terms and conditions apply for any cancellation or postponement of your trip. You can view our booking conditions here:
  • It is a requirement of your booking with us that you take out travel insurance that will provide adequate cover in case your plans change for any reason
  • If any restrictions are put in place by Government, and your travel is imminent, then the impact of this is likely to be covered by your travel insurance policy, however, you should check this with your provider. Insurance does not usually cover “disinclination to travel” where Government does not advise against travel. You may be able to pay a premium for cancellation for any reason but you must speak to your insurance company about this. It is your responsibility to make sure your travel insurance provides adequate cover.
  • For detailed FAQ please visit this World Health Organisation page

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

+Travel advisories

Travel advice for travellers from common locations.

United States | Canada | Australia | UK | New Zealand | Germany | Switzerland

We recommend you check your own government advice with regards travel to your chosen destination.

+Current situation in each country

We recommend you visit the government website for the destination to which you are travelling where they are updating the situation daily.

You can also visit the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention website for a risk assessment by each country. Simply click the link, scroll down and click on the country you want to visit.

Finally we recommend reading the WHO situation reports, which are updated daily and provide an ‘in numbers’ view of the virus.

+Your current travel options with H+I Adventures

We want you to know exactly where you stand if you have booked a tour with us.

If your trip departs within 6 weeks then we would like to chat over the options with you.

Based upon the current position locally and relevant advice from UK and other governments, you currently have two options available:

  1. Postpone Your Trip (identical trip different date)
    If this option is best for you then speak to your tour specialist and we will postpone your departure date to travel at a later date. This may result in additional charges depending on the new arrangements we agree with you and any irrecoverable costs we’ve already incurred. In order to give you ultimate flexibility we’re offering travellers the option to change their departure dates to any future date as many times as necessary, while government travel restrictions remain in place. This includes moving back to your original departure date if conditions allow it to run. To further help your decision making, we will waive the standard £50 administration charge. Deposits remain non-refundable. For trips that we have agreed to postpone, we treat this as agreeing a new contract with H+I Adventures and the terms and conditions apply from the date at which the postponement is agreed.
  2. Change Itinerary (different tour or destination)
    Speak to your tour specialist to see what the options are to change itinerary to a different tour in the same country, or a different destination. This may result in additional charges depending on the new arrangements we agree with you. Equally, it may result in refund for part of your trip. Again, to help your decision making, we will waive the standard £50 administration charge. Deposits remain non-refundable.

If your trip departs within the next 6 weeks, then let us help you decide which option is best for you. To do this call us on UK 01463 231 441; US/CAN 1-888-228-50-35, or email You can view all of our 2021 tour dates in the tour calendar.

If you are not quite ready to make new travel plans we can issue you with a Refund Credit Note to the value of monies paid for your original tour. The Refund Credit Note is valid until 31 March 2021, by which date you must have booked a new tour as per options 1 or 2 above. Your date of travel does not need to be before 31 March 2021.

Whilst held in a Refund Credit Note your money is protected, as normal, by our ABTOT membership.


As always it is important that you have adequate travel insurance which covers your specific needs, including any known medical conditions or activities you plan to do.

It is also worth checking the detail of the policy around travel disruption including delays or cancellations as policies do vary.

The Association of British Insurers has a Q&A section that is more relevant for travellers from the UK but raises useful questions to put to your own insurer.

Thank you from our founders

There are few people in the world right now who are not being affected in some way by the current COVID-19 pandemic, which is unprecedented in our lifetime. We know that many of you are struggling, as we are, to adjust to the ‘new normal’ that we find ourselves in, with severe restrictions placed on our daily lives, in particular, on our free movement.

We are united in our concern and uncertainty surrounding the outbreak of COVID-19, but you’ve also shown us that we are united in our love for travelling, mountain biking, and experiencing cultures outside of our own, which means a lot to us.

We would like to send a heartfelt thanks to all of you, our riders, for your sensible and measured response to the situation we all find ourselves in at present. Your support has been tremendous, however there’s one thing we would like to ask to help us through the coming months when we are having to make difficult business decisions.

If your trip is not within the next 6 weeks, please hold off making changes to your travel plans with us. The situation is changing rapidly and it’s better for everyone if you can make an informed decision nearer your time of travel. Then if you’d like to postpone your trip, we’ll be happy to help and have already made our terms more flexible to allow this. Our tours operate in some of the most economically fragile communities across the globe. Your support at this time could make the difference between many rural businesses staying in business, or going to the wall and potentially changing the face of their communities forever. Likewise, our amazing team of guides, many of whom you have met, are really suffering right now with the uncertainty. Your support can help keep them in a profession they love and one they excel at.

In return, we would like to reassure you of the following:

  1. At all times the trip monies you have paid are bonded and regulated by ABTOT. Therefore you are 100% financially secure in the unlikely event that our business failed
  2. We are doing everything in our power to ensure our future so that we can deliver your tour for you when it is safe, and you feel comfortable to do so
  3. That we have a highly capable, dedicated international team that will work tirelessly to ensure that your future trip with us will be everything you’re currently dreaming of

Thank you sincerely for your continued support and we hope that you and your loved ones stay healthy and positive in these very challenging circumstances.

Looking forward to seeing you on the trails.

Very best wishes,


Catherine Shearer and Euan Wilson, Co-Founders

Highlights of 2019 Catherine Shearer
A portrait of Euan Wilson as seen in Life at H+I