How to hike a bike
Learn how to hike a bike
When the trail gets too steep or too technical, what do you do? You can turn around and try another option, or you can hike a bike and adventure into the unknown. You never know, you may find some of the best riding you’ve ever seen!
Having the ability to hike your bike safely and comfortably is essential and in this edition of #MTBminute, H+I Adventures’ lead Scottish guide Chris Gibbs shows you the key stages of how to hike with you mountain bike – without getting into a mess!
Perfecting this technique may take a few attempts but persevere, as it will open up a new world of mountain biking to you. It’s an essential skill for our adventures in the fjords of Norway, Chile + Patagonia, and our coast-to-coast adventure in Scotland, for example, so definitely worth practising to make the most of your mountain bike travels!
Still not sure? Our guide Chris Gibbs will be happy to answer any of your hike-a-bike questions, just leave them in the comments below.
8 easy steps to mastering how to hike a bike
- Position your bike so the drivetrain is pointing away from you
- Ensure chain is in the biggest chainring
- Point the near side crank arm vertically down to the ground
- Squat down and grab the crank arm with you right hand and the fork leg with your left hand
- Stand up using your legs ensuring you protect your back
- Place the downtube over your shoulders and backpack
- Centre the bike’s weight and get comfortable
- Ensure that every foot placement is secure, you are now very top heavy with your bike on your shoulders
Tick, tick, tick, tick…
What can you learn in a minute? Well, quite a lot as it turns out…
From changing a gear cable to mastering how to hike a bike, in the #MTBminute we take on some of the most pressing questions around your mountain bike life and attempt to show you the key stages in just 60 seconds!
Using decades of collective guiding, riding and mechanical experience we’ve carefully created each minute-long video to give easy-to-follow, practical tips that will instantly demystify skills and techniques. They might still take a lifetime to master but with the #MTBminute at least you’ll be off to a solid start.
If our video has inspired you to tackle some hike-a-biking, why not take a look at our other #MTBminute videos, a recent trip to Skye or sign up to our newsletter to receive regular updates from our expert guides who are bringing the Art of Adventure™ to life!
One thought on “MTBminute – how to hike a bike”
Comments are closed.